This week’s guest is Los Angeles based producer, engineer, and mixer Stephen Kaye. Stephen splits his time between film & TV projects and record projects. His credits include Fitz and the Tantrums, Lucius, Salem Ilese, Inara George, Hepcat, and Ziggy Marley. As well as movies and shows such as Bridesmaids, Green Book, Bridgerton, Dear White People, and most recently King Richard. We chat about the FOMO of balancing projects, reading music, and working with orchestral instruments in less than ideal circumstances.
In this episode we'll dig in on...
- Working Smarter
- Dealing with not being credited
- Recording Beatles sound-a-likes in high school for fun
- Using Vienne Ensemble MIR to recreate space around solo strings
- Running Pro Tools for score tracking sessions
- Considering back stepping and working as a runner to learn more
- Working in studios since age 16
- Doing one-man string arrangements for early 2000s pop RnB
- Balancing record work and film & TV work
- Previewing movies with test audiences
- Film deadlines vs TV deadlines
Learn More About ...
📢 Our Sponsors 📢
Check out oeksound. The makers of Soothe2 and Spiff!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network!
Listen to Secret Sonics!
🙏 Support the Show 🙏
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Stephen Kaye
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference