This week’s guest is Los Angeles based producer, engineer, and mixer Paul Fig. Paul is known for being a go to tracking engineer, especially in world of hard rock with credits including AFI, Jerry Cantrell, Slipknot, Rush, Alice in Chains, Bush, and Deftones. He also currently owns and operates the studio Dave’s Room in North Hollywood. We go deep on recording techniques for guitars and vocals, as well as chat about his journey from Sound City to freelancing and the importance of staying two steps ahead of everybody.
In this episode we'll dig in on...
- Engineering records that you are producing
- Maintaining phase coherence in multi mic guitar recordings
- Starting as a runner at Sound City at 32
- Working with Jerry Cantrell and Alice in Chains
- Songwriting demos in the rock world
- Transitioning from being in a band to working in a recording studio
- "Riff Mining"
- Taking over Dave's Room studio
- SM57 secrets
- Recording vocals with two mics at once
- Having music in Sonic Highways
- Desert island guitars
- Being part of a studio family
- Making records and making library music
- Intonation and guitar doubling
Travis' Intro: Planning Tomorrow
Learn More About Paul Fig and Dave's Room...
Dave's Room: http://www.davesroom.net/
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Beats Accelerator Process HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Mix Accelerator Process HERE!
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Paul Fig
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Travis Ference
Theme Music: inter.ference