Today’s guest is music producer, songwriter, and mix engineer John Velasquez. John has gone being signed to Cherrytree Records as a member of the band Max and the Moon to working behind the glass as a producer and songwriter for artist such as Zella Day, Lindsey Black, Ella Vos, and Vacations. We have a great chat about what skills make a producer irreplaceable in the room, why creating your own sounds and samples ages way better than using presets and splice loops, how to create a safe space for artists to be authentic, and when he learned the best way to collaborate is to never try to satisfy your own needs or ego.
🗒 In this episode we'll dig in on... 🗒
- Chase the art and the money comes
- The importance of being a great hang in the studio
- Staying authentic as an artist
- Advice for signing a record deal
- Learning how to collaborate
- Create like a child, edit like a scientist, detach like a warrior
- Finding your tribe
- Playing in Max and the Moon
- Signing to management
- Remote songwriting
- Keeping your ego out of the room
- Understanding how many projects you can take on
- Applying business knowledge to your music career
🎙 Travis' Intro 🎙
The Truth About Networking
🎶 ... Listening Recommendation 🎶
🗣 Mentioned in the Interview 🗣
👉 Learn More About ... 👈
📢 Our Sponsors 📢
Check out oeksound. The makers of Soothe2 and Spiff!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network!
Listen to Secret Sonics!
🙏 Support the Show 🙏
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: John Velasquez
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference