This week's guest is award winning filmmaker, composer, and entrepreneur Gabe Cowan. Gabe has produced over 20 films, many of which have premiered at the major festivals. Some of his films include SXSW Audience Award winner "Cheap Thrills" as well as "Bad Milo" and "They Call Us Monsters." Before producing movies, Gabe was a multiplatinum recording artist, played in several bands and was signed to Geffen Records. His current focus is as the CEO of Audio Design Desk, where he is working to solve audio for video by creating a streamlined solution to quickly and easily match music and effects with picture in a manner that sparks creativity. We chat about making movies, democratizing cinema quality audio, the challenges of creating a DAW from scratch.
In this episode we'll dig in on...
- How Audio Design Desk revolutionizes audio for picture
- Creating a DAW that inspires you
- Signing to Geffen Records in the mid 90s at age 19
- How to pitch your ideas
- AI as a musical assistant
- Creating a product roadmap
- Music as a part of a filmmakers identity
- Major label life vs independent life
- Encountering people that prioritize money over art
- The allure of Hollywood
- How scoring a Roger Corman film lead to producing movies
- Shooting the first independent film done on a RED Camera
- Meeting consumer expectations
- Cue sheets
- The musical gymnastics of the 80s and early 90s
Travis' Intro: Enjoy the Journey
Learn More About Gabe Cowan and Audio Design Desk...
📢 Our Sponsors 📢
Check out oeksound. The makers of Soothe2 and Spiff!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network!
Listen to Secret Sonics!
🙏 Support the Show 🙏
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Gabe Cowan
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference