Today’s guest is music producer, recording engineer, and songwriter Ebonie Smith. Ebonie has been a house engineer for Atlantic Records for 10 years, working on projects for artists like Cardi B, Janelle Monae, Jason Mraz, Charlie Puth, and Misterwives. She is also the founder and President of Gender Amplfied, Inc, a non-profit focused on celebrating women in music production. She holds a Masters in Music Technology from NYU and is currently a governor for the New York Chapter of the Recording Academy. We have a great chat about the mission of Gender Amplified and how it got started, as well as tips for producers running sessions and why it’s important to not always do the same thing.
🗒 In this episode we'll dig in on... 🗒
- The mission of Gender Amplified, Inc.
- Connecting women in music as part of her college thesis
- Working as a house engineer for Atlantic Records
- The choice to pursue music higher education for music
- Running a pop session as a producer
- Songwriting camps
- Method vs Formula
- How to identify good advice
- The business structure behind Non-Profits and the benefits of making it official
- The importance of having eclectic taste
🎙 Travis' Intro 🎙
Why Taking Risks in Art is Necessary
🎶 ... Listening Recommendation 🎶
Float - Janelle Monae Listen
👉 Learn More About Ebonie Smith & Gender Amplified... 👈
📢 Our Sponsors 📢
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network!
Listen to Secret Sonics!
🙏 Support the Show 🙏
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Ebonie Smith
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference