Carl Bahner: Outreach, Input vs Output, and Communicating the Care
This week’s guest is producer and mixer Carl Bahner. Carl has mastered the art of working remotely, having worked with artists in 16 countries. His credits include artists such as Transviolet, St Lucia, Joywave, and Hippo Campus. Prior to working full time behind the glass Carl toured all over North America and the UK playing drums for the band Cheerleader. In addition to all that, he coaches fellow engineers and producers on how to build client rosters full of music they are passionate about and hosts a music business podcast that promotes self-reflection and proactivity. We have a great chat about input vs output goals, narrowing your target audience, and the importance of making decision based on passion.
In this episode, we'll dig in on...
- Work ethic and determination
- Asking yourself "Why is this important to me" before taking a gig
- The musician hustle: Gigs, sessions, lessons
- Building a studio
- Caring why you press a button, not what the button does
- Knowing when to use your music theory and when to not
- Positioning yourself for success
- Setting aside time for client outreach
- Learning to do remixes by passing time on the tour bus
- Remote assistants and delegation
- Earning and deserving word of mouth
Learn More About Carl Bahner...
Listen to Carl's "Thanks for Thinking" podcast HERE!
📢 Our Sponsors 📢
Check out oeksound. The makers of Soothe2 and Spiff!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network!
Crescendo: The World's First Subscription Mixing Service
Listen to Secret Sonics!
🙏 Progressions the Show 🙏
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Check out the Progressions Podcast Setup
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Carl Bahner
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference