Today’s guest is music producer and mixing engineer Andrew Maury. Andrew started his career running front of house for Ra Ra Riot before moving full time into the studio. Since then he’s done mixes for artists such as Shawn Mendes, Lizzo, Post Malone, Jeremy Zucker, Coin, and Madi Diaz. As well as production work with Kimbra, Lewis Del Mar, and CRUISR. We have a great chat about how live sound can influence making records, feeling the low end when you mix, how learning can make you worse before it makes you better, and why you should view your career as the long game.
In this episode we'll dig in on...
- The importance of collaborating with people you resonate with
- Co-Producing and mixing Shawn Mendes "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back"
- Latency when mixing with controllers and plug-ins
- Remote mixing and working with notes
- Attending Mix with the Masters and studying with Michael Brauer
- How the beginner's mind lets you work on instinct
- Working with a manager
- Feeling the how the low end of a mix hits you
- Live Sound vs Studio Sound
- Navigating additional production from the mixer's chair
- Mixing your own productions
- ASC Tube Traps Attack Wall
- Soundflow (Affiliate Link)
Learn More About Andrew Maury...
📢 Our Sponsors 📢
Check out oeksound. The makers of Soothe2 and Spiff!
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network!
Listen to Secret Sonics!
🙏 Support the Show 🙏
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Andrew Maury
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference