Today’s guest is music producer, engineer, mixer, and multi-instrumentalist Andrew Lappin. Andrew prides himself on helping artists push boundaries while staying true to themselves. He’s doing that with a mix of major label and independent artists such as L’Rain, Chromeo, Big Red Machine, and STACEY. In addition to that he also composes and produces music for television, film, and radio. We chat about transcending commitment anxiety, creating contrast both musically and sonically, drum recording techniques that will inspire the player, and why it’s as important to know what you want to do as it is to know what you don’t want to do.
In this episode we'll dig in on...
- Making records always takes compromise
- Challenging people with out disempowering them
- Understanding when to interject into a performance or idea and when to not
- Being Bold
- Filling in frequency gaps with different fidelity mics
- Working in studios with a historic legacy
- The limiter arms race
- Sharing a studio space at Sunset Sound with Joe Chiccarelli
- Keeping perspective on projects that you producer, engineer, and mix
- Not waiting too long to release your music
- Comparison is the root of all disenchantment
- Being your own biggest critic
- The lyric and intent of the song always guides production
- Finding a friend you can trust to get you HONEST feedback
Mentioned in the Show:
- L'Rain "Fatigue" - Listen
- Andrew Bird "Are You Serious" - Listen
- Altec Salt Shaker Mic
- Roland Space Echo
- Joe Chiccarelli
- Chris Zane
Travis' Intro: The 85% Rule
Learn More About Andrew Lappin...
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Beats Accelerator Process HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Mix Accelerator Process HERE!
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Andrew Lappin
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference