Today’s guest is Los Angeles based musician, producer, engineer, and mixer Alex Crescioni. Alex currently works out of his studio, Stygian Sound, which is located in the legendary Sound City Center complex. Focusing on heavy and dark genres in the metal world, Alex has worked with artists on Cleopatra Records, Pavement Music, Metal Assault Records, and Nuclear Blast Records as well as collaborated with Meegs Rascon, Chris Collier, and Tim Palmer. We have a great chat about the subgenres of metal, the strategy behind creating a selected discography, niching down to focus on music that you are passionate about, and how being a prepared client brings the best out of everybody involved.
In this episode we'll dig in on...
- Learning from your failures
- Studio etiquette
- Having a studio in the Sound City complex
- The importance of finding people that will give you their honest opinion
- Putting technical metal riffs under the studio microscope
- Niching down to make music you love
- Studying guitar and recording at Musicians Institute
- Classical piano and The Suzuki Method
- The art navigating of Los Angeles traffic
- Getting a loan and jumping head first into owning a studio
- Word of mouth referrals
- How marketing can lead to transaction temporary clients
- Separation of work and life
- DSP guitar amp simulators vs real tube amps
- Guitar string guage
Learn More About Alex Crescioni...
Stygian Sound IG: https://www.instagram.com/stygiansound/
Sign Up for Complete Producer Network HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Beats Accelerator Process HERE!
Get on the Waitlist for The Mix Accelerator Process HERE!
Support Progressions on Patreon!
Sign up for the Progressions Mailing List
Learn more about Travis: https://www.travisference.com/
Affiliate Links (aka Support the Show AND Get Stuff):
Soundflow - Speed up your workflow!
Riverside.fm - Video Interview Platform
Captivate.fm - Start your own Podcast!
Guest: Alex Crescioni
Host: Travis Ference
Editor: Stephen Boyd
Theme Music: inter.ference